It’s a stressful time of year. Often, we hold stress in our shoulders and neck, so let’s take a moment to loosen those muscles. This week make time for these exercises while standing in line at the mall or during some other errand. They are pretty inconspicuous.
Here’s how you do it.
- Stand up tall and pull your belly button to spine.
- Keeping your arms at your sides, start to roll your shoulders in one direction.
- Then roll your shoulders in the other direction. You should already feel tension melting away.
- Bring yours shoulders to a comfortable position, resting your shoulder blades on the rib cage and then slide your shoulders up towards your ears and then back down you back toward the floor. Repeat 5 times. This is called elevation and depression.
- Bring your shoulders back to a comfortable position and then start to make the shape of a small “v” with your shoulders blades. Slide your shoulder blades forward, instead of up and then slide them towards each other like you are moving to the base of a “v.” Repeat 5 times. This is called protraction and retraction.
Remember to breathe. If you’re still waiting in line, repeat the series again. Continue until you get checked out.