This one is a challenge. Work to your level so that you enjoy the workout and don’t start to hate it. Here’s how it’s done:
- Sit on a mat with your feet on the floor, knees bent. (If your hips start to bother you, you can straighten your legs.) Sit up tall and place your finger tips behind your ears, elbows out wide.
- Inhale to prepare.
- Exhale: start to roll your hips away from your thighs creating a c-shape in the spine. Roll away as far as you abs feel challenged, but you feel no tension in the low back.
- Inhale: Stay and challenge yourself to breathe deeply when the exercise is hard.
- Exhale: Hinge forward from the hips toward your knees keeping the c-shape in your spine. Keeping the belly button engaged will help with this. You should be looking at your knees when you come forward.
- Inhale: Stack the spine and sit tall–the way you were when you started the exercise.
- Repeat, building up to 8 per day.
Notes: Go slowly and work the breath on this exercise. Try to take a really deep inhale once you have rolled away. Try not to rush through the hard part of breathing while you are holding the weight of your body.