I’m on vacation this week, so I couldn’t in good conscience give you the teaser I was planning for this week’s exercise of the week. Instead, you get to make time everyday to give yourself a little back massage. I suggest you make the time for this one. Your back is sure to thank you for it!
Here’s how you do it:
- Lie down on you back, feet flat on the floor, knees bent up toward the ceiling.
- Imprint your spine, pushing your back flat against the mat (this will protect your back when you take your feet off the ground).
- Inhale: prepare
- Exhale: lift your feet off the ground, pulling them toward your chest and hold your legs between your hamstrings and your calves.
- Breath as needed to rock from one side of your spine to the other. This should feel good. If it doesn’t, don’t continue the exercise. Continue rocking for approximately one minute.
- Return to center, lying flat on your back, keeping your legs pulled into your chest and circle your lower back for approximately 30 seconds.
- Stop circling and circle in the other direction for 30 seconds.
- Either repeat or lower your legs.
Notes: Throughout this exercise breath in a way that is comfortable. This is a great one to do twice a day–once when you first get up and right before you go to bed. Lying on a carpeted surface or a mat will feel better than doing this on a hardwood floor. This should feel good. You shouldn’t want to stop. Enjoy!