Shoulder Bridge is a challenge for your gluts, low back and hamstrings.
Here’s how you do it:
- Lie on you back, neck and shoulders relaxed, feet flat on the floor, knees bent up to the ceiling, arms at your sides, neutral pelvis. Your legs and feet should be about hip distance apart with your feet parallel–(Toes should not be turned in or out). You can place a ball or pillow between your knees, if you want.
- INHALE–To prepare
- EXHALE–Lift your hips straight off the ground bringing them in line with your shoulders and your knees
- INHALE–At the top, breathing into the sides of the ribcage
- EXHALE–Lower your hips down to the floor.
- Repeat Approximately 10 times.
For an added challenge:
After step 3 (lifting your hips off the ground and bringing them in line with your hips and shoulders)
- INHALE–Drop your hips halfway down to the floor
- EXHALE–Glide your hips back up in line with your shoulders and knees
- Repeat 8 to 10 times then resume exercise above and lower the hips back to the floor
This challenge version can be done up to three times in a row.
Remember to engage the core muscles–belly button and pelvic floor–in order to maximize the effects of this exercise. Also, squeeze the gluts and hamstrings when you lift up. Squeezing the muscles you are engaging instead of just lifting the hips up and down will work your muscles harder and put you in more control of your body. As always, have fun honing the exercise!