Since I will be on vacation next week, I didn’t want you guys to go without an exercise. Here is one that helps you learn how to knit the ribs (as we call it in Pilates), but isn’t too exerting. After all, if I’m on vacation, I suppose I should give you a little break too.
Here’s how you do it:
- Sit nice and tall, legs crossed, belly button to spine.
- Without moving your hips or your shoulders, try to move your rib cage from side to side. (This will not be a big range of motion.)
- Repeat for a few deep breaths
- Bring your ribs center
- Without moving your hips or shoulders, try to move your rib cage forward and back. (This will not be a big range of motion.)
- Repeat for a few deep breath
- Alternate between side motion and forward/back motion for about 5 minutes.
Note: This can actually be a real challenge for what feels like a simple move. Your shoulders may move a little bit, especially when moving front to back, but your hips should remain stable. Keep your core contraction to help keep everything still. As always, just enjoy learning what you can do with your body. You are in control of your muscles. Since this exercise takes focus, but probably wont make you sweat, allow it to serve as time to calm yourself down. Try it right before bed or first thing in the morning.