Since we were all Memorial Daying yesterday, this week we’ll have the exercise of the week on Tuesday. This exercise is surprisingly challenging, but a great stretch.
Here’s how you do it:
Lie on you back, left leg bent, left foot on the floor, neutral pelvis.
Bring your right leg off the mat into a bent position, if you have the flexibility and your hips don’t hurt, extend your right leg to the ceiling.
Circle your right leg (crossing your mid line first).
Circle FIVE times stopping at the top of your circle each time to make each circle an individual circle.
Reverse the direction of the circle FIVE times.
Lower the Right leg.
Repeat the circles with the Left leg.
1) Make sure your hips don’t rock from side to side. If they do, make smaller circles. This exercise is not about the size of your circle, it’s about the core stability. Also remember not to cram your low back against the mat. You should stay in neutral.
2) If you moving hip pops or clicks and that feels uncomfortable, keep both knees bend to reduce tension on that hip.
3) For more of a challenge straighten both legs. Don’t rush this option. If your pelvis rocks or your hips hurt, it’s not worth the added challenge. If you leg is straight, focus on keeping the leg long and reaching through the toe.
4) By the end of the week, try to build up to EIGHT circles in each direction.
5) Remember to breath and have fun moving your body!